Pages

Tuesday 5 June 2012

My Daughter's a (rug) Hooker!

It's likely a proud moment in any rug hooker's life when passing on the love of rug hooking to another genereation. My 5-year-old, Smidge, has been an avid supporter of mine for years. She loves reading rug hooking magazines, in fact a few months ago we had a period of time when she would select a new issue of RHM each night for her bedtime story, wanting to read "first rug on the last page". She loves rug hooking shows and watching the progress of my rugs.

In the past, she has sat on my lap and pulled a few loops in my rugs, but this past weekend I felt it was high time that she start her own piece.

So I grabbed a hoop, and cut her a piece of linen. Because if you've read one of my earlier posts, she claims to be allergic to burlap. Very convenient, wouldn't you say? She reminded me of this as I found materials for her, so I had to cut into my newly purchased Dorr stash of linen.

First things first, she started drawing her pattern. You can see I pulled out bags of worms for her to use. Let's hope she doesn't start eyeing up my good stash.



Her pattern is called "The Sun", apparently.



And the first few loops, after mom got her started.



She was extremely proud of her first snippits. She actually wants to keep them. She also was yabbering on Sunday afternoon about how relaxing rug hooking is, and then she'd stop hooking and lie on the floor for a while. Too funny.




Apparently after school on Monday, she proudly showed off her work to her grandparents and then immediately launched into teaching them how to hook. Methinks she's a confident one.

And now, she's sitting hooking beside me. The thrill hasn't fizzled. She's hard at work, and like any rug hooker, her gums are flapping the whole time she's hooking!

Smidge says: "Rug hooking is so fun and so relaxing too. You can say that again."




My baby's hooked on hooking - how it warms my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment