Pages

Tuesday 15 January 2013

GF DF Carrot Muffins










Because of food sensitivities discovered in August (through testing), I've cut a number of foods out of my diet, including all dairy and gluten. I've been modifying a few of my own recipes and trying new ones that I've found online or in cookbooks. Here's my newly crafted gluten-free*, dairy-free, oil-free carrot muffins. 

Whisk together:
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour(s) (use whatever you like best; I used a combination of rice flour and all-purpose gluten-free flour; I'll likely experiment with different flours each time I make them)
1/2 cup sugar (this is the next ingredient I'll be experimenting with, but for now I just cut it down)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon



Grate 1 cup of carrot.

Then add the following to the dry ingredients:
2 eggs (beaten slightly)
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup grated carrot
1 tsp vanilla
Mix until blended. Spoon into 12-muffin pan, lined with muffin cups. Bake in preheated 350F oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. 





Okay, I don't know how to rotate these pictures, so you'll have to just admire with a tilted head. Now, don't get me wrong, these aren't TO DIE FOR muffins, but they are tasty and you know that you'll feel good after eating them - that's what's important to me these days. The muffins you buy at grocery stores or doughnut shops may be TO DIE FOR, but what's in them??

*indicating this recipe as gluten-free assumes that you will ensure that all your own ingredients are gluten-free; always read the labels of any product you buy to ensure there are no hidden ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. these look delicious - love your idea of a a wall of rugs and I LOVE the circles (love the colour and the design) please keep us updated on that rug's progress xo Susan & gang

    ReplyDelete