Pages

Monday 20 July 2015

#5in2015

My mom always knit the same baby sweater for anyone she knew that was having a baby. If she didn't even know you but knew of you, you got one (like people that worked with my dad, or someone in the community). If you were a close family relative, you got four! All the same sweater, but in different colours. She even usually kept a few neutral coloured sweaters on hand to have at the ready, just in case. She knit this same pattern for babies for decades. It was a simple cozy sweater that could take a lot of wear. People seemed to love them. 

The irony? By the time I had my own baby, she had quit knitting and my own child never had the pleasure of wearing a sweater knit by granny. I still have the pattern she used to use, but haven't made one myself. Someday.....

I have my own tradition, started many years back now. If I know you and you're having a baby....you get an I Spy quilt. Smidgie was given one by a couple of quilting friends, and she still sleeps with it regularly. 


So, I present to you #5in2015 fibre projects..... an I Spy quilt for a classmate of mine expecting in October. Yes, it's shocking, I've completed it with much time to spare. That's because there are two more in the pipeline required for September. Logic seems backwards, I assure you it's not. 

Behold, the I Spy for Baby I. 











Can' wait until you arrive, Baby I! 



No comments:

Post a Comment